GFI collaborates with in-country partners to create short, informative and easy to comprehend factsheets regarding specific issues facing the individual countries. GFI has worked in Colombia, Kenya and Uganda to produce factsheets regarding the effects illicit financial flows and beneficial ownership transparency have on local communities.
Download these factsheets here:
- Beneficial Ownership & Colombia
- Illicit Financial Flows and Environmental Justice in Colombia
- Illicit Financial Flows and Human Rights in Colombia
- Illicit Financial Flows and Trade Misinvoicing in Colombia
- Q&A’s About Colombia’s Beneficial Ownership Bill
- Beneficiarios finales en Colombia: Necesidades y oportunidades en políticas públicas
- Los flujos financieros ilícitos y la justicia ambiental en Colombia
- Flujos financieros ilícitos y derechos humanos en Colombia
- Los flujos financieros ilícitos y la facturación comercial fraudulenta en Colombia
- ABC del proyecto del ley sobre beneficiarios finales en Colombia
- Illicit Financial Flows in Kenya
- Uhamishaji Wa Fedha Haramu Nchini Kenya
- Q&A About Kenya’s Beneficial Ownership Law
GFI also works with in-country partners to produce videos to illustrate our research and the impacts illicit activities have on local communities. GFI has produced a video illustrating the impact of illicit gold mining in Colombia. Stay tuned for upcoming videos on Kenya and Uganda.
In 2019, Colombia exported over 52 metric tons of gold worth an estimated US$1.8 billion to trading partners worldwide. As such, gold represents an important resource for the country, as well as an economic livelihood for many. But greater transparency is needed to ensure supply chain integrity. Watch our video to learn more about the importance of transparency and integrity in the Colombian gold sector.
En Colombia no todo lo que brilla es oro. El país está dejando de percibir millones de dólares debido al comercio ilegal y la facturación fraudulenta del metal precioso. En Global Financial Integrity queremos que el oro realmente brille para Colombia… Pero ¿cómo hacerlo?… Este video explora los caminos hacia la transparencia que tiene el país para hacer de este sector un buen aliado de la economía, las comunidades mineras y los consumidores.
In addition to reports, GFI produces short briefings which provide in-depth research on specified issues.
By Channing Mavrellis
This Trade Brief provides an analysis of Colombia’s tropical wood exports between 2009-2018, assessing the level of trade misinvoicing and providing recommendations on how to address related gaps in policy and enforcement. Addressing trade misinvoicing is a critical step towards safeguarding Colombia’s forests and overall biodiversity.
By Tom Cardamone
This Policy Brief explores the national security risks posed by poor anti-money laundering (AML) efforts, coupled with the fact that the US dollar and the American financial system are magnets for illicit money from around the world. The paper compiles interviews with Anti-Money Laundering (AML) experts to explore what the Biden administration can do to address this critical national security risk.
By Lakshmi Kumar and Julia Yansura
This Policy Insight assesses where the United States currently stands in terms of beneficial ownership, analyzes how beneficial ownership is seen in the U.S. policy priorities, looks to the future of ways to strengthen beneficial ownership in the United States going forward, and puts beneficial ownership in the context of trade and transportation, both important factors in national security.